April 2, 2013

BF Top 5: Items Newbies Should Check Out!

Hi Foodies,

Life has been a bit hectic lately. I’ve been setting up the new “Foodie headquarters”, trying DESPERATELY to not own the house I owned before I moved to this house and trying to get two children ready to go off to two different summer locations.

BUT…you all are always in my mind. Today, I’d like to address a question I get fairly often. Pre-ops email me all the time to ask in what they should invest for after surgery. Usually this question involves “which protein powder should I buy?” which is  tough question to answer for many reasons. BUT there are some kitchen tools and whatnot that you can invest in before surgery that will serve you well for a long time to come.

In no particular order (and click the title of each for info on where to buy):


I was not a believer at first but I’ve had mine a year and I actually do use it quite a bit. I make smoothie kits and when I make a really big casserole, I slice individual portions and vacuum seal them for future lunches or days when I just plain don’t feel like cooking.

If you don’t have one already, I’d suggest the most basic one. I got the one with all the bells and whistles and last year when I went to do the shake kits for the holidays, it couldn’t keep up as well as its more affordable counterpart! So more expensive is not always better.


Yeah…eyeballing portions wasn’t my forte in the beginning. Nowadays I’ve been working with food so much and for so long that I can guesstimate weight, volume, calories and protein with razor-like precision!

But until you get there, this is a nifty little tool. It allows you to program in the stats on the serving size foods you commonly use and it will adjust those stats based on how much of the food you put on the scale.

This one is also good if you find you’ve fallen off track. Many times we don’t think we’re eating that much…but we are. (Present company included!)


Ok, so you don’t need a fancy one but I have seen a practice among savvy post-ops who (don’t let the scale act as the sole narrator of their WLS success story) that I think is brilliant. I wish I did it along the way.

I’ve seen folks who pick out a basic outfit (jeans, black tank, whatever) and stand in the same spot, every single (month/week/whatever) and take a picture. It may seem simple but it does something phenomenal. It gives you perspective! Sometimes we can’t see the changes we’re undergoing in the mirror. But those pictures are evidence. And since they are consistent (same spot, same type of outfit) you can’t go “well it’s because those jeans make me look smaller…but I’m really still big!” Nope. You are getting smaller and there’s the proof.


It doesn’t have to be a Britta but a filtering water bottle, in my estimation, is worth its weight in gold. I can drink water from a tap and it will taste good in this thing because it filters out impurities. And the earth will thank you too.  HOWEVER, a simple water bottle will do. And while you’re at it, get a good shaker bottle too so that your protein shakes don’t turn “50 Shades of Grey.”


Because (Nik) there is no excuse (Nik) for not taking your vitamins (Nik)!

A good pill organizer can go anywhere with you so you can pop your dose of vitamins wherever you are. And if you get the water bottle you have good tasting water to go along with.

So there you have it. Five simple investments you can make to get your WLS journey off to a successful start. And each of these things will continue to serve you down the line.

What items have you bought that have been useful along the way? Share in the comments!


.::Related Article::.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Themes by Ex Templates Blogger Templates l customized byWeight Loss Surgery